Translation

Translation for 140 languages by ALS


Friday, July 25, 2008

Joged

text by Ari Mustikawati
images courtesy of Ida Bagus Indra











You are born and raised in Bali. I was born in Denpasar 9th May 1974 into a Brahman family with a cartoonist father who later developed his business interests in Bali’s thriving tourism industry. As the Brahman is the top caste in the Hindu belief system I was living among the high priests and other holders of Balinese scriptures, who shaped me into who I am right now: a Balinese person who is fascinated by my own culture as a heritage from our Gods and Goddesses.


How has your work matured so significantly over recent years? I used to describe my work as a form of naughty humour mingled with romance. But now, I identify my work as surrealism and expressionism. The element of surrealism is reflected in my choice of objects I use for my paintings – objects from the world of niskala – the intangible world. Expressionism is more the styles and techniques I employ.

Where do you draw your inspiration from? Primarily from my interaction with niskala during meditation - such as dialogues with the objects of my paintings. I find inspiration comes from everything I see, touch and feel. My series of work ‘Joged’ has been inspired by my wife and the colourful, highly traditional clothing she wears as she dances.

Tell us about Joged. In Indonesia Joged is a folk dance - usually related to earthly rituals. In earlier periods, Joged was regarded as a traditional rhythmic dance performed by groups of women, each choreographing their routine to a dynamic pulse of drumming for the amusement of the king. In my paintings Joged is a representation of colour and dynamism. In ‘The Blue Thunder’ I decided to focus on the momentum of the dance and achieved a heightened sense of dynamic movement by presenting a snapshot of a Joged dance on several narrow canvases. When you link them together the dance forms, sort of like a strip of film.

Do you still call Denpasar home? I call my studio Griya Telabah and yes, it’s in Denpasar on Jalan Tharin where I also built my house, as I want to be close to my wife and children as much as possible. As an artist I can call every spot in this universe my studio, anywhere I find inspiration really!

You have exhibited around the world, but where did it start? My solo exhibitions began back in 2004 at the Lynne Wilton Gallery Australia, then Bali the same year. I also exhibited in Jakarta, the Kufa Gallery in London then Germany, Singapore, and Malaysia. Joged is currently exhibiting at Museum Rudana (Jl. Cok Rai Pudak 44 Peliatan Ubud).

You must have received a lot of international interest in your work over the years. I began my professional career in 1994. After my work sold out to private collectors and galleries throughout Indonesia I decided to move to Melbourne, that was in 2003 following some top recognition at the 2003 Indonesia Art Awards Festival. There, I was labelled one of the Republic’s leading artists which paved my way for exhibiting overseas.

Can we still buy your artwork in Bali? Of course, at Rudana Fine Art Gallery (Jl. Cok Rai Pudak 44 Peliatan Ubud) for my Joged work, or in my studio at Denpasar.

Future plans? After JOGED, I want to concentrate on the preparation of my next exhibition called Kamasutra. It will be an adaptation of the ancient Indian folk tales about love and eroticism and will be shown at the Ganesha Gallery in the Four Seasons Resort later this month.

resource :
http://www.hellobalimagazine.com

No comments:

CLASSIFIED

Add Your Classified Ads For Free
For more information on advertising on The Bali Tourism Information Center web site please e-mail: rahsaswarnabhumi@ymail.com

Arsa Handycraft
Arsa Handicrafts are doing Wholesale, Exporter, and Manufacture Bali products, such as Bali Handicraft , Bali Furniture , Bali wood carving and Bali Accessories.

OFFICE:
Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai no.99
Padang Galak, Sanur
Bali - Indonesia
Telp. +62 361 - 286 773
Fax. +62 361 - 286 773
office@arsahandicraft.com
http://arsahandicraft.com
Bali Wedding Photography : Ricky Salim
Located in Bali- Indonesia. Specialize in making wedding photography and wedding videos something to be cherished for many years to come. Bali Wedding Photographer Ricky Salim also offers you a choice of several wedding packages to make your wedding arrangements just a little easier, or you can reserve your photography date.

Address
Ruko Graha Mahkota B-12
Phone : +62 361 254929 , +62 361 7441190
Denpasar - Bali - Indonesia
http://rickysalim.com
Job In Bali [July 2008]
We are an exclusive private villas in Bali would like to invite the qualified candidates that meet our requirements to join into this position below :

1. Duty Manager (DM)
2. Reservation Staff (RS)
3. Sales Manager (SM)
4. Chief Accounting (CA)

General requirement :
1. Min exp. 2 years in a similar position in the same field no 1 & 2,good communication and leadership skill (no 1)
2. Min exp 4 years in similar position in the same field, good benefit and salary (no 3).
3. Oral and written English, available immediately.
Please send your resume completely to:
personnel_rk@yahoo.com
or akpridhnani@hotmail.com